6.22.2010

Hand Painted Antique Porcelain Doll Parts

I get teased here at home for my adoration of vintage porcelain doll parts. It must have come down from my paternal grandmother's side, her house is literally filled with different dolls from all over the world -- the majority of them being creepy. Essentially, my fascination resonates with the limbs, and how I can re-purpose them into jewelry or art.

With this in mind, you can imagine how tickled I was when I stumbled across a limited stock of antique German bisque doll legs. I was told that similar to the Frozen Charlotte dolls, these detached parts were dug out pieces from the remnants of the doll factories in Thuringia, Germany and date between 1890-1920. I'm not a history buff when it comes to dolls, but the story seems pretty compelling if true.

I'm thinking they'll make curious little necklaces and am looking forward to spending some studio time with them. Until then, they'll be on display in my little collection ready for the cringes of passersby who just might not quite get it.
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Just wanted to pop in and say that I get "it" ;) Your grandmother's doll collection sounds incredible! A lovely find of doll legs--I'm sure you will find the perfect way to incorporate them into your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzanna! Yes, if anyone gets it, it's you! The piece of art I bought from you will always remain in my own permanent collection...remember this: http://www.etsy.com/transaction/5433179

    One of these days, I'll need to get a shot of everything together for your and others to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get your love doll parts. I find them fascinating and the parts are almost better than the whole. Can't wait to see what comes of your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I remember!! You own one of my very early doll house pieces. Would love to see a picture of your collection sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these doll parts! Creepy, maybe, but very beautiful (if that's the word I'm looking for)too! I know whats its like to find something your drawn to, and then can't wait to make something with it! Isn't that what creating is all about?!

    You will have to share with us what you end up with!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment here in my little world. I read each of your thoughts, opinions, tips, and stories shared and oftentimes engage right here in the comments section. Please keep those comments coming and know how much your readership is appreciated!